The word ‘extraction’ sounds scary, especially when you’re referring to your mouth. Fortunately, tooth extractions are very common. At our dental clinic in downtown Montreal, we perform these procedures all the time. We understand why some people may be afraid of having a tooth extracted, but there’s really nothing to worry about.
Here’s a bit about what you should expect when you visit our office for a tooth extraction:
Why Do Adults Need to Have Their Teeth Pulled?
Although your permanent teeth were meant to last a lifetime, a lot of things can happen to your precious enamel along the way.
- Severe Damage. If the tooth is too badly damaged from decay or trauma, it will need to be removed so your dentist can ensure the health of your gums and surrounding teeth.
- Crowded Mouth. If you’re preparing for braces or other forms of orthodontics, the end goal is to properly align your teeth so you can enjoy a beautiful smile. If your teeth are too big to allow the orthodontic process to be successful, your dentist may need to extract a tooth or two to make room.
Your dentist may also need to remove teeth if there’s not enough room for new teeth to break through the gums.
The Process of Oral Extractions
When people call our dentist downtown, they don’t always know what the procedure will look like. This should give you an idea:
- Anesthetic. Your dentist will numb the area using local or general anesthetic, depending on the circumstances of your unique situation. This prevents pain and enables you to relax and sleep through the procedure.
- Extraction. The dentist will use special gentle tools to grab the tooth and gently rock the tooth back and forth to loosen it from the jaw and attached ligaments. If the tooth is impacted, your dentist will need to access the tooth that lies below the skin by cutting the gum and bone tissue.
- Clotting. Most people’s bodies will automatically form a blod clot where the tooth once was. Your dentist will pack gauze around the void and have you bite down to stop the bleeding.
Dre Nathalie Kadoch is the dentist downtown Montreal residents and workers trust when they need a tooth extraction, regular cleaning, or cosmetic repairs. Reach out to us if you have any questions by calling (514) 367-0300, or book your initial consultation online today!